Monday, January 6, 2014

Holiday Recipes: Aunt Lorie's Hanky Panks

Now that we're into January, our lives are beginning to return to normal again. While we had an amazing time driving up and down the east coast and spending time with friends and family over the holidays, I'm looking forward to getting back to our regular schedule! I don't begin my second semester until the end of January though, so I plan to spend this in-between time after work FINALLY catching up on the many MANY recipes I wanted to get up here. While all of the recipes I plan to post are delicious and some of my favorites, this first recipe will always hold a special place in my heart. This Hanky Panks recipe comes from the kitchen of my Aunt Lorie and always makes me think of some amazing memories with the Schoeff family in Lawrenceburg!

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb. Ground Beef
  • 1 lb. Ground Sausage
  • 1 pkg. Velveeta Cheese
  • Red Pepper Flakes, to taste (I tend to use a lot because I like the kick)
  • Salt and Pepper, to taste
  • 1-2 packages of either (or both) Party Rye Bread or Pumpernickel Bread

Directions:

In a pan, brown both the meats. While the meat is browning, cube the Velveeta cheese. Add the cheese and spices and mix until everything is melted/well blended.



Line a baking sheet with tin foil and lay the small slices of bread out. Scoop a spoonful onto each bread and place the whole pan in the freezer. Once the mixture is frozen, transfer the Hanky Panks to a gallon-size Ziploc bag and keep in the freezer until ready to heat and serve.


To heat up:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Spread Hanky Panks out on a baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes or until heated through and bread is a bit crispy. Enjoy!


These are easy to make and will definitely be a party pleaser (at least they are for my family!)

Stay tuned for more recipes!



No comments :

Post a Comment