Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Fall Chili Recipes, Ya'll

With the weather being cool and rainy lately (especially rainy at this particular moment), I've really been craving warm and hearty crock-pot meals for dinner. In the last few weeks, I've pulled my crock-pot out more times than I haven't. I've always been a huge fan of soups this time of year, but Ryan is convinced that soup does not constitute a "meal." Since he was never really on board, I rarely ever make any sort of soup, including stews, chili, and chowders. HOWEVER, we had friends over a couple of weeks ago to watch the Pats game and I made a big batch of chili to share. Surprisingly, Ryan actually enjoyed it! So, clearly with this sudden change of heart I have been making as many variations of "soup" that I can get away with. Tonight, I'm sharing two of my favorite chili recipes, which happen to be polar opposites of each other. The first is a traditional chili recipe I have made time and time again, tweaked from one of my favorite Southern Living recipe books. The recipe makes a TON... I mean a ton! But it can always be cut in half OR frozen to make TWO meals!

Traditional Big Batch Chili 


Ingredients: 

  • 4 lbs. Ground Beef
  • 2 Onions, chopped
  • 1 Green Bell Pepper, chopped
  • 3 tsp. Minced Garlic
  • 3 (14.5 oz) cans Diced Tomatoes, undrained
  • 4 (8 oz) cans Tomato Sauce 
  • 1 (6 oz) can Tomato Paste
  • 1/4 cup Chili Powder
  • 1 tbsp. Sugar
  • 1 tsp. Salt
  • 1 tsp. Pepper
  • 1/2 tsp. Paprika
  • 1/2 tsp. Crushed Red Pepper
  • 2 (16 oz) cans Kidney Beans, rinsed and drained
  • Toppings: Sour Cream, Cheddar Cheese, Green Onions 
Directions: 
1. Cook ground beef until no longer pink; drain. 
2. Place meat in slow cooker; stir in the rest of the ingredients. 
3. Cover and cook on low 7-8 hours or high 5-6 hours. Serve with desired toppings

Simple and Traditional! 


The next chili recipe is a little more unique. I had a couple of sweet potatoes in the house that I wanted to cook up and I thought they would be a great addition to a turkey chili, but I COULD NOT find a recipe online that I liked...so, I made one up! I was a little nervous about how this would turn out, but it was delicious! Next time, I will probably add more beans. (I didn't add as many this time because my friend Heidi doesn't like them and she was coming over for dinner.) 

Turkey & Sweet Potato Chili 

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb. Ground Turkey
  • 1 Onion, chopped
  • 1 Red Bell Pepper, chopped
  • 2 Sweet Potatoes, diced
  • 30 oz. Tomato Sauce
  • 30 oz. Diced Tomatoes 
  • 1 can Black Beans, drained and rinsed 
  • 2 tbsp. Chili Powder
  • 1 tbsp. Cumin
  • Salt/Pepper, to taste 
Directions: 

1. Brown ground turkey and onion; transfer to crock-pot.
2. Combine remaining ingredients and cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 5-6 hours.


There you have it! Two very different, very tasty chili recipes to try out during this wonderful time of year!

Happy Hump Day, ya'll!

No comments :

Post a Comment