Saturday, November 30, 2013

Aunt Carol's Pecan Pie

As I mentioned in my post for the sweet potato casserole recipe, there are some holiday recipes that just seriously remind me of home and family. This pecan pie is as close as I could get this year to a Schoeff family thanksgiving, as it is my Aunt Carol's recipe. She was gracious enough to pass it down to me and I couldn't wait to make it for Thanksgiving this year! 

A couple notes from my first (and second attempt) at making this pie: 
- If you use the roll-out pie crusts, be sure to flour both sides of the crust well before placing it in the pie plate...otherwise it'll stick. 
- Don't bake the pie until the filling doesn't jiggle at all...otherwise it'll be burnt on the top. 

Learn from my mistakes, people! I did, and my 2nd try Thanksgiving morning turned out perfect!! 

Ingredients: 
  • 1 3/4 cups White Sugar 
  • 3 Eggs 
  • 1/4 cup Dark Corn Syrup
  • 1/4 cup Butter 
  • 1 tbsp. Cold Water 
  • 2 tsp. Corn Starch 
  • 1/4 tsp. Salt
  • 1 tsp. Vanilla 
  • 1 1/4 cups Pecans, chopped
  • 1 Pie Shell 
Directions: 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 

In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup, butter, water, and corn starch. Bring to a full boil and remove from heat. 



In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs until frothy. Gradually beat in the cooked syrup mixture. 


Stir in salt, vanilla, and pecans. Pour into the pie shell and bake for 45-50 minutes or until filling is set.

No comments :

Post a Comment