Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Cast-Iron Skillet Sausage & Spinach Pasta

For those of you who are intetested, my June goals are coming along nicely! I've been trying all sorts of new recipes in the kitchen that I can't wait to share with y'all over the next couple of days! Last week, I decided to bust out the cast iron skillet for the first time in a while to attempt a new one-pot pasta dish and let me tell you... It turned out A-mazing! Plus, there was hardly any clean up and lots of leftovers which are both wins in my book. 

Ingredients: 



  • I package Hillshire Farms Smoked Sausage
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes w/chiles 
  • 2 cups chicken broth 
  • 1/2 box of pasta 
  • 3 cups fresh spinach 
  • 1 cup shredded monterrey jack 
Instructions
  1. Thinly slice the smoked sausage and add it to a large skillet with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Saute the sausage over medium heat until it is nicely browned (about 5-7 minutes). Drain off the excess fat.
  2. Dice the onion and add it to the skillet. Continue to saute until the onion has softened(about 5 minutes). Add the can of diced tomatoes with chiles and the chicken broth. Stir to combine. 
  3. Add the uncooked pasta to the skillet and make sure it is almost completely submerged under the liquid. Place a lid on the skillet and allow the mixture to come up to a boil. Once it reaches a boil, turn the heat down to low and let it simmer for about ten minutes, or until the pasta is tender. Stir once or twice while the pasta cooks to keep it from sticking.
  4. Stir in the fresh spinach, a little bit at a time, until wilted. Keep the heat on while adding the spinach, so the liquid will continue to simmer and thicken.

5. Sprinkle the cheese on top and replace the lid, letting the cheese melt. Enjoy! 

Now I'm one step closer to being able to cross off #25 from my 101 in 1001 list! If you want to see my progress, you can always click on the 101 in 1001 tab at the top of this page. I do my best to keep that updated as I go.


Have a great Tuesday night!


No comments :

Post a Comment