Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Scotcharoos

Scotcharoos have become my go-to dessert for group functions or anytime where I'm asked to bring something sweet! This recipe was passed down to me from my Mother-in-Law, Susan, who I believe got it from a sweet friend of hers, Sheryl. It's a pretty easy, no-bake recipe and I almost always have all of the ingredients on hand so I end up making Scotcharoo's more times than I probably should! (Hey, I work out for a reason!!) 

Anyways... here's what you need.

Ingredient: 
  • 1 cup Sugar 
  • 1 cup Corn Syrup 
  • 1 cup Peanut Butter 
  • 6 cups Rice Krispies 
  • 3/4 cup Chocolate Chips 
  • 3/4 cup Butterscotch Chips 

Everything minus the corn syrup! 
Directions: 

Mix sugar and corn syrup together in a large pot and bring just to a boil. Take the pot off of heat and mix in peanut butter until well incorporated. 




Add in the rice krispies, stir everything until blended and transfer to a buttered 9x13 casserole dish. When pressing rice krispies mixture into the dish, don't press down too much or the bars will become very hard. (I can't even tell you how many times I've pushed the mixture down too much in the pan!) You want to lightly press them down- the more air the fluffier the bars will be!


In a medium saucepan, over medium-low heat, melt the butterscotch and chocolate chips, until there are no more lumps in the mixture. 


 Pour chocolate mixture over the rice krispies and place dish in the refrigerator until completely cooled.


When cooled, take the casserole dish out and cut into bars. Enjoy!!


Like I said before, I really think this will always be one of my favorite recipes! So, thanks Susan and Sheryl for passing this one down to me!! 

-Sarah 

2 comments :