Friday, July 12, 2013

What Pinterest Taught Me: A Better Cup of Coffee

Ya'll. I did NOT realize you were supposed to clean your Keurig every 3-6 months.

You can't even see the coffee, that's how little it gave me! 

For the longest time I would make a "medium-sized" cup of coffee in the morning with no problem. Lately, however, I noticed my Keurig was spitting out half a cup of luke-warm coffee before calling it quits on me. I didn't think too much of it (just started brewing the largest cup possible to try to fill my mug) until Pinterest taught me otherwise. Apparently, your Keurig develops lime scale, which is a mineral inside the water that remains after the water is gone, if they're not cleaned regularly. This lime scale can build up inside the machine, hindering the heating process and pushing water back into your water reservoir instead of into your cup.

Needless to say, it was time to clean that sucker!

All you need is White Distilled Vinegar, a large cup, and water!






Directions: 

Fill your reservoir with white vinegar. Brew cups of hot vinegar with no K-cup in the holder to clean the reservoir and tubing until you need to add water.

Remove the reservoir and rinse all of the vinegar out. Refill it with water and run more brews of water through to rinse out the reservoir and tubing and get rid of any left over vinegar. When you don't smell vinegar anymore, you know you're in the clear (this took about two full reservoirs for me!). And that's it!


The next morning when I went to brew my morning cup of Joe, my mug was completely full and the coffee actually tasted much fresher!

It's not the most exciting thing Pinterest has taught me, but at least I now know I'm keeping my Keurig in great working condition!

Now, please tell me I am NOT the only one who didn't know how to clean my Keurig!?!?!

-Sarah 





1 comment :